JOB TITLE: Senior Manager – HR, Administration and Safeguarding
TEAM/PROGRAMME: HR, Administration and Safeguarding
LOCATION: Bangkok Office
Type of Contract: Open ended contract
The Senior Manager HR, Administration and Safeguarding provides strategic and operational oversight to human resources management, retention, and talent development, oversees the administrative functions, and leads on child, adult and staff safeguarding. S/he ensures that Save the Children Thailand (SCT) is an employer able to attract, recruit, retain and develop the best talents to achieve its mission and deliver its strategy. This post also ensures legal compliance of the organization in an evolving environment, fosters and maintain a positive and productive work environment within the organization.
S/he will also be responsible for ensuring that the SCT’s minimum operating standards and quality framework are being met for HR and Admin as well to lead the implementation of SCT’s strategic ambition around People and culture including Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI).
As a key member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), s/he provides guidance to all SMT members on human resources strategy and contributes to achieving overall country strategic plans. S/he also shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of Thailand Office as part of the SMT.
S/he will support the SMT to strengthen safeguarding management systems across all functions and programs, and to promote a strong Safeguarding culture within the Thailand program & operations.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Executive Director
Staff reporting to this post: HR Coordinator, Admin Coordinator, HR Assistant.
Indirect reports based in field offices: 6.
Role Dimensions: The position leads the HR Administration and Safeguarding functions for SCT and will be networking with external INGOs and legal counsels to make sure SCT is at the top of current best practices and compliant both with Save the Children International (SCI)and in country like minded organizations. The position will also seek strategic and technical guidance from Asia HR Director.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Leadership and Management
- Demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
- Contribute and shared leadership in development and implementation of SCT Strategic plans as building blocks to achieve Save the Children’s 2030 breakthroughs.
- Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment in a way that promotes accountability and high performance, encourages an open, respectful and inclusive team culture of learning, creativity, and innovation, and frees up our teams to deliver impact for children.
- Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with humanitarian and development donors, host government authorities, partner agencies, and other NGO actors.
- As the leader of the HR, Admin, and Safeguarding, provide agile and effective leadership which attracts, develops, and retains talented staff to SCT; and through excellent leadership and management obtains the highest levels of commitment and performance of all program staff.
- Responsible for conceptualization, design and management of staffing strategies to ensure that the organization acquires and retains a qualified workforce capable of meeting current organizational challenges in both development and emergency contexts.
Strategic Human Resource Planning and Organizational Development
- Work closely with the programme departments to ensure that adequate HR inputs are provided and incorporated during development and implementation of all projects/programmes.
- Prepare/participate in people forecasting & HR planning for the organization.
- Ensure appropriate and adequate emergency HR procedures are detailed in SCT Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to enable rapid scale up, and that all HR staff members understand and are able to perform their roles in an emergency.
- Maintain a staffing structure that fits for current and future purpose. Provide expert guidance and leadership on change management when the portfolio and operating model require revisions to the staffing structure.
- Review HR policies and procedures regularly to meet SCT’s requirements and local labour laws.
- Develop and implement HR annual action plans and ensures all HR KPIs meet SCT standards.
- Provide leadership to embed and promote SCT’s organization culture and values.
Talent Acquisition and onboarding
- Ensure hiring practices are fair, equitable and consistent and comply with local regulations.
- Conduct ongoing workforce planning and analysis to determine organizational staffing profile.
- Ensure all job descriptions are updated for efficient recruitment and performance management.
- Plan and manage recruitment and induction of staff ensuring SCI safe recruitment criteria and donor and local compliance.
HRIS, compensation and benefits
- Manage HRIS/ORACLE and ensure employee data are updated regularly.
- Ensure all employees possess the competency to operate HRIS.
- Provide regular analytical reports to management for risk analysis and management decisions.
- Ensure compensation and benefits policies and practices are according to SCI rewards policies and procedures.
- Work closely with finance team on payroll and taxation matters.
Performance Management & Talent Development
- Ensure SMT, line manager and all employees understand DtP (Develop to Perform) objectives and are capable to use the system. Ensure SCI DtP policies and procedures are established and maintained in the national office.
- Build a culture of learning and development in the national office including developing and implementing an annual Learning & Development plan for employees.
- Identify talents for critical positions and successors and implement development plans for key talents ensuring internal growth.
- Manage the overall Employee Relations for the organization. Ensure staff are well-informed of grievance reporting and disciplinary management procedures. Provide induction and refreshers periodically.
- Advise Executive Director on appropriate actions for prevention and response to any legal issue arising out of SCT’s work or employment, and coordinate actions with legal counsel.
- Set the tone in terms of a positive management culture and ethics and facilitate their institutionalization at all levels, and ensures good teamwork within all field offices, as well as with other Member staff visiting or being deployed to SCT, including within emergency responses.
- Provide assistance and guidance to senior management staff to identify trends in employee relations issues and work with them to rectify issues.
- Work closely with SMT and other management staff to manage and coordinate grievance management and disciplinary proceedings involving any staff member and recommend appropriate action to resolve disputes.
- Ensures outgoing staff go through a proper exit interview in order to gain feedback and insights on Save the Children’s programme, organizational processes and system.
- Facilitate the administration of Staff Wellbeing initiatives and promote staff engagement.
- Support Senior Management with the roll out of the Staff Care policy.
- Lead on Save the Children’s government relations and compliance with respect to registration issues, including reporting to government ministries in line with Thai laws and regulations.
- Procure, assess, and implement legal advice as required towards Save the Children’s registration as a local foundation, in compliance with all relevant regulations.
- Guide management on legal compliance issues and keeps management updated on latest changes in law which may affect organizational policies and procedures.
- Ensure the effective implementation of office operation policy and procedure that meets the SCT standards.
- Supervise administrative function to ensure the smooth work permit and visa process for expatriate staff and liaison with Government Departments.
- Oversee the overall maintenance of office premises, facilities assets, and equipment (physical work environment) and ensure that these are secure and efficiently utilized.
- Collaborate with Save the Children International admin team to jointly manage shared office space.
- Ensure adequate insurance cover and keep up to date with suitability and types of cover available.
- Oversee logistical support to guests, visitors including partner organizations involved in Save the Children’s activities.
- Provide admin support to the organization of regional and global workshops held in Bangkok.
- Ensure all employees are inducted on child safeguarding and employee safeguarding policies, reporting and case management protocols.
- Develop annual action plan on Child Safeguarding and implement in cooperation with Senior Operations Manager and Programme Quality and Impact Director.
- Oversee/manage all reported cases of safeguarding on time.
- Ensures that the Safeguarding function performs with efficiency, responsiveness, accountability, familiarity and compliance with SCI Policies & Procedures.
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Master Degree in Human Resource Management or relevant field plus professional qualification would be desirable
- A minimum of 5 – 7 years management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, of which three at a management level within the HR department, including experience in the development and implementation of HR strategic and operational plans
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrated ability to effectively contribute a part of a senior management team.
- Demonstrated team leadership capacity, including strong analysis, good judgement and decision-making.
- Experience in Human Resource Management and talent development with solid technical understanding.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in English and Thai; and ability to establish strong working relationships with external stakeholders, including government agencies.
- Knowledge of Thailand employment laws and models of good employment practice, and good understanding of the issues that affect employee relations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with HR and management colleagues at a global, regional and national level.
- Proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and respect local and international religions and culture.
- Demonstrated understanding of safety and security issues, especially related to Thailand context.
- Ability to plan and organize a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities in both development and emergency contexts.
- Ability to express oneself succinctly, creatively and independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate skills in leading a multi- disciplined team through a period of change.
- Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise and motivate qualified professional staff with strong personal value systems.
- Analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff.
- Team building skills
- Competent level skills in core IT applications, particularly MS Office
Additional Job Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the Save the Children Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding Our Staff
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the Save the Children anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with Save the Children Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Interested candidates should apply and submit a motivational letter, comprehensive CV, expected salary and details of at least 3 referees via the following link;
View the external job posting
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse”