Position Title : Finance Assistant
Vacancy Number : SVN/IOMSO/020/2023
Duty Station : Hargeisa, Somaliland
Classification :General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment : Special Short term, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 05 June 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management and the direct supervision of the Finance Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing effective and efficient administrative support to Resource Management Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate funding requirement with all offices in Somalia and Somalia Support Office in Nairobi, Kenya, and prepare monthly comprehensive funding request for IOM Somalia office and send the funding requests to IOM Manila.
- Continuously monitor the funding status of the IOM Somalia offices to ensure sufficiency of available funds.
- Record outgoing payments from vendor and incoming receipts from customer, post outgoing payments to bank GL, effect down payments to vendors in PRISM and make sure timely updates are maintained in the system.
- Review staff vendor accounts for outstanding travel expense claims (TEC’s) and initiate follow up with the concerned staff members as well as compute and process the TEC’s.
- Prepare and follow up on accounts receivables for invoices to UN agencies participating in the Bossaso UNCC compound and SPU arrangement in which IOM is coordinating.
- Ensures timely review of invoices and ensure the completeness, validity and accuracy of the supporting documents before posting the expense transactions into IOM accounting system.
- Proactively coordinates with programme colleagues any review findings in the request for payment or any deviation from the policy.
- Process Travel Expense Claims and ensures correct DSA and other travel entitlements are correct as well as the completeness of the supporting documents.
- Regularly checks the Travel Request (TR) system and compare with the TECs received to ensure completeness of the TECs. Follow-up with the staff any long outstanding TEC not submitted.
- Perform month end and year end closure processes and assist in the preparation and dispatch of monthly accounting returns package to be sent to the Regional Accounting Focal.
- Regularly reviews vendor accounts and ensure timely clearance of open items.
- Regularly reviews open POs and coordinate with procurement to get the invoice from vendors.
- Assists in addressing issues in the Periodic Checklist Review.
- Assists the auditors for any issues raised during the audit.
- Regularly assess the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the established internal controls and procedures and recommend to RMO process improvements to address the control weaknesses and/or process inefficiencies.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or any other related field with at least three years of relevant work experience. Certification in CPA II or more will be an added advantage; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with at least five years of relevant professional experience.
- Particular experience in computerized accounting systems (SAP is advantage).
- Qualified CPA or ACCA or equivalent qualification is highly desirable.
- Experience in finance and / Accounting is required.
- Knowledge of IOM internal procurement and financial rules is an advantage.
Fluency in English and Somalia is required.
VALUES - All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
CORE COMPETENCIES - Behavioural indicators – Level 1
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.